Friday 29 January 2016

4 Design considerations as influenced by

The design of any model railroad is influenced by a number of things. The most commonly named in the model railroad press are time, space and money. For me skills as well as energy and willpower are equally important as the first three named. There are also others to take into account.

Design consideration may be constrained by:

- time
- money
- skills
- energy and wilpower
- space
- benchwork
- chosen prototype and period
- yard location
- type of operation
- chosen scale

Some design considerations may be more important than others and during the design process it can change as well.

Case in point: my woodworking skills are not great so I opted to go with an Ikea Ivar storage system as my basic benchwork on which modules and segments will rest. However, I'm having problems locating Oskaloosa's South Yard and in particularly the wye at the south end. It's a very big element and doesn't fit into the Ivar directly so I might have to scale back on the way I want to operate the layout. I'm confident I'll find a solution so I can include a functioning wye and with it the operational benefits of including the beginning of the 11 district and the through freights I can then operate. This in contrast to not making the wye functional and then having all freight cars come from North Yard / staging in the shape of transfers. There is drama missing there and what attracted me to the M&StL in the first place where picture of through freights passing the passenger station. I might have to become good enough at woodworking or find another way to include this important part (to me) of the railroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment